Re: [Gnump3d-users] Handling the random selection options

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Handling the random selection options
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:25:22 -0500

Steve Kemp wrote:

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:51:02PM -0500, Stan Mulder wrote:

That patch didn't work for me. It didn't select any directory at all.

 I see.
I'm new to patching though. I applied it to the latest CVS. Is that correct? Then I added a random_exclude_dirs value to /etc/gnump3d/gnump3d.conf. Correct? Then I killed and reloaded gnump3d and tested.
 That was correct.

 I've commited a new version to CVS, so if you update shortly you
should see it.

 This expects directories, or directory components, to be ecluded to
be specified by the value 'plugin_random_exclude'.  Multiple values
can be deliminated via '|' symbols.

 I've tested using:

plugin_random_exclude = The|And|Test|Spoken|Audio|Hobbit

 However with a large value it is hard to see if works.  I guess
stripping down an archive to two directories and excluding one will
test it properly.

 (I guess this is going to hang if all directories match.  We
could count attempts in the loop and try to detect this.  Not sure
what the correct response is, error?)
Steve,

A couple of things on the latest CVS.

1. There were artifacts I didn't recognize in the random.pm file. Three lines. They were:

<<<<<<< random.pm
=======

The random functions wouldn't run unless I commented out these lines.

2. The "Random Selection" seems to work fine for me. I tested with one directory, then two, then four. I used.

plugin_random_exclude=(Midi|Talk|Video|Special);

Would this exclusion eliminate matching song directories or even matching song titles? For example if I want to exclude /mp3/Special but not exclude /mp3/songs/band/Midnight Special/01 Track 01.mp3 would it work?

This variable needs to be added to the conf file.

3. Hmmm. What about this variable, random_exclude_dirs? I see it underneath the new code. Is it working? As a matter of fact, the "Random Directory" option doesn't work for me at all. Firefox spins but returns nothing.

Stan