Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a

From: kracker
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Trouble streaming files ending in .m4a
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:39:04 -0500

True Mark,

Ogg is a better format both in technical quality and software freedom ;)

I fear I have (perhaps incorrectly) chosen convenience in the past
over freedom :|

My number one reason behind this choice is that I do not know of a
free software program which can convert my mp3 files which have very
wickedly ugly (and very command line / bash) unfriendly file names
(space, dash, etc) into an alternate format like the Ogg format.

While I respect and enjoy the inference behind your query, I submit
back to the world.
Does one know of a free software program which i can invoke on a
directory with a hierarchy of directories and files which file names
which have characters which must normally be escaped when manipulating
them in a GNU/LInux System for example renaming the file using the
bash shell via ssh? If I only had a access to such a program (as I am
not entirely sure how one would build such a program, off hand) I
would gladly make the conversion of my entire archive :)

On 5/24/05, Mark Mykkanen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I tried it out with .m4a files.  It appears to be an
> issue with the player AFAICT.  I tried it with winamp.
>  Seems to have no problem with .ogg.  Isn't Ogg a
> better format anyways?

Well, I think your very right, I found the cause to my current
breakdowns just after my last post ...

It seems my past personal favorite, (non-free) audio player, Winamp
has only just recently begun to support the most basic of M4A audio
streaming...

Re: Winamp 5.04: Changelog : http://www.winamp.com/player/version_history.php
* added basic streaming (download) support for M4A/MP4 HTTP streams

Which seems to tell me that Winamp is still fairly immature when it
comes to streaming files (perhaps incorrectly labeled with a .m4a
extension when the content of the audio file is really mp3)? Which
also seems to lack the ability to con troll some of this download
instead of stream behavior via settings ... Suddenly this seems
strangely familiar to me, weird.

//kracker

Bush : Everything Zen
FSF : Bradley M Kuhn : Software Freedom and the GNU Generation