Re: [Gnump3d-users] Kudos and questions

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Kudos and questions
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:21:51 +0100

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 06:14:28PM -0700, Michael Rensing wrote:

> I notice from the archive that this is a low bandwidth listserv, so I
> won't lurk in hopes that I'll see an answer...

  Probably wise ...

> My main reason for wanting to use gnump3d is so that I can stream mp3's
> to my iPaq over my wifi network.

  Sounds like a good idea :)

> hassle is that MediaPlayer and the PocketPC RealPlayer don't recognize
> m3u streams. There seem to be a few freeware players out there, but I
> left my synch cradle is at the office this weekend, so I can't install
> and try them.
>
> In the meantime, I'm trying it out with MusicMatch on my Windows laptop.
>
> Now for the questions:
> - In html pages in the lines where songs are listed, there are often
> tags that aren't showing up, so that I just see " - - -" instead of the
> album, song title, etc. The tags exist, so there must be a bug. Any idea
> how to track it down? There don't appear to be any special characters.

  First of all remove the cache and rebuild it.  We'd need to start
 and see where the problem comes from:

        1.  Is it the case that the tag cache doesn't have the information
 saved into it?

        2.  If the information is actually in the cache then the bug
 is related to reading it from there.

  I guess working out where the error is coming from, ie. adding the
 file(s) vs reading the info.

> - I'm using MusicMatch as my player, and there's no problem playing the
> music, but the titles that show in the playlist are the URL strings, and
> all the spaces are showing "%20" instead of the space. Can anything be
> done about this?

  That's expected behaviour.  I'm sure I recall somebody else telling
 me things broke if I used spaces.

  Two cases here:

        1.  Either you have advanced_playlists=1 so the information is
 coming from the tag values.
        2.  The infomration is coming from the URI which is in the playlist
 in which case I'd say 'player bug'.

> - There are plenty of warning messages that show up when I start the
> server. Do you want to hear about them? They're mostly "uninitialized
> value" warnings.

  I'm mostly been fixing these eventually.  They're usually harmless
 although without samples it's hard to say.

> I'm not bad at working with perl, but I don't have much experience with
> object oriented code. I'm willing to help out, but you'd have to help me
> get started.

  There's not much OO involved, if that helps.

Steve
---
http://www.steve.org.uk/