Re: [Gnump3d-users] Using downsampling to recode .ogg to .mp3

From: koan
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Using downsampling to recode .ogg to .mp3
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:51:13 -0500

I believe your problem is that you are assuming the line you are giving the downsampler is being executed by a shell which I doubt it is. It is most likely a perl .exec() call. Since is it not a shell, the standard redirection operators (for stdout, stdin, stderr) do not work therefore you cannot pipe the output of command 1 into comand 2 - that is a function of the shell.

What I might suggest would be something like make the line include a start shell command which in turns executes the command for the downsampling (not sure how well gnump3d would respond to this)..

example:

ownsample_medium_ogg = /bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/oggdec --raw -b 16 -e 1 -o - $FILENAME | /usr/bin/lame -r -s 44.1 -m j -b 64 - -'

I havn't tested it but what SHOULD be happening is you start a shell with -c which says "execute this command when you start". Thus you have gnump3d -> open shell -> calls your command (which now works because its executed in the context of the shell and the redirection operators are valid).

hope that helps :)

Hello all --

I'm trying to persuade gnump3d to recode my ogg files to mp3 when
downsampling. Enough of my friends are non-technical enough to make the
hassle of recoding the files less than the hassle of explaing what an ogg
file is and how to play it. :) That being said, I'm trying something like
the following line in gnump3d.conf:

   downsample_medium_ogg = \
     /usr/bin/oggdec --raw -b 16 -e 1 -o - $FILENAME | \
     /usr/bin/lame -r -s 44.1 -m j -b 64 - -

I apparently need the --raw flag since I'm writing to stdout ( i.e., as
opposed to the default .wav output). The flags on /usr/bin/lame tell lame
to assume raw pcm data, and give it (what I hope are) all the necessary
parameters of the data. These combinations of options come from some time
spent hunting through manpages and trial-and-error.

My problem is that it isn't working. The command above works just fine on
the command line. In gnump3d, however, no ogg file plays, and the error
log contains:

   Error writing to file: Broken pipe
   Error writing mp3 output

which isn't terribly helpful.

For the record, gnump3d -v gives:
   gnump3d v2.9.7 [CVS Info: gnump3d2 1.109 (2005/10/28)] on Perl v5.008006

If any one can shed some light on this, I'd be mighty appreciative.

Thanks,
Austin