Re: [Gnump3d-users] Using downsampling to recode .ogg to .mp3

From: Walter Francis
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Using downsampling to recode .ogg to .mp3
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:13:45 -0500

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:24:15 -0500, Chris Hendrickson <address@hidden> wrote:
> oops, I sent this with address that is not in the mailing list (they end
> up filtering to the same place) so I'm going to send this again just to
> be sure since I have not seen it appear on the list.
>
> If you get multiple copies, my apologies.
>
> you could write a one or two line script and call THAT along the
> lines of
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # downsample_ogg.sh
> /usr/bin/oggdec --raw -b 16 -e 1 -o - $1 |  /usr/bin/lame -r -s 44.1
> - - -m j -b 64 - -
> and then set
> downsample_medium_ogg = /usr/local/bin/downsample_ogg.sh $FILENAME
> downsample_medium_ogg = /usr/local/bin/downsample_ogg.sh $FILENAME 64
> downsample_high_ogg = /usr/local/bin/downsample_ogg.sh $FILENAME 128
> etc

Will this actually work?  I've recently attempted to reverse this; resample my
mp3's into oggs as my ogg-loving friends are convinced that I can have high
quality stereo audio at the same bitrate as my lousy audio quality mono mp3
feed I am restricted to in order to stay under 48kbit up for streaming to
myself at work.

The problem was that the file extensions were wrong, the file I streamed was an
ogg, which I did by piecing together the mp3 resample paired with an ogg
encode, but it wouldn't play correctly in Winamp or XMMS.  If I saved the
stream, renamed it .ogg, it would play correctly.

So is there something more you're doing, or is this just conjecture at this
point?

Thanks.