[Gnump3d-users] Re: disallow download of mp3-Files

From: Bernd Holzum
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Re: disallow download of mp3-Files
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:20:57 +0100

Hi,

thanks to Cedric an Chris for your answer (especially to Chris for his very
detailed one!).

Although your posts make me cautios about what to do, I'm still thinking ...

The "semi public place" is a school library with a few desktop an laptop
systems. It's impossible to install software on these machines, like stream
ripping utilities; usb ports are configured to be "dead" to prevent people
from bringing in malicious code, but that means that these ports cannot be
used to take data away, too.

So additional precautions are possible. Streaming could be limited to the
ip's of these "safe" machines in the gnump3d.conf-file.

Alternatives may be more "legal", but are more prone to unwanted actions:
a) put the original cd's into the bookshelves -> theft
b) put copies of the original cd' into the bookshelves -> theft even
without bad conscience
c) Put cd mirrors on a server, accessible from the clients -> more traffic,
less comfortable user interface, same legal questions

a) and b) offers the chance to rip the cd's on private notebooks, too, which
are allowed to be taken into the library!

Now where begins broadcasting in a legal sense? When two people are able to
listen to the same tune at the same time? So it could even make sense to
install gnump3d on a local machine for http://localhost:8888 just for the
advantage of the user interface. Listeners have to sign in at the desk for
a headphone, anyway.

And of course: We payed a whole bunch of money for those cd's and would like
to have the right to  listen to the music. :-]

Bernd Holzum