Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable and reverse sort

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable and reverse sort order
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:16:16 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Stan Mulder <address@hidden>
Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:53 pm
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable and reverse
sort order

address@hidden wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Hendrickson <address@hidden>
Date: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:11 pm
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Feature request for "Song" variable
and reverse sort order

address@hidden wrote:
Feature Request #1: Generic content name. My website posts "Messages" and not
"Songs". Is there anyway of consistently changing the string "Song(s)" to "Message(s)" or any other value (e.g.,
"Lecture(s)",
"Media", etc) This would enable gnump3d to work cleanly with
non-
song content. (Hey, music shouldn't have an exclusive lock on MP3!)

Sure, you can edit the templates and change "song" to "message", "lecture", etc. They can usually be found in /usr/share/gnump3d/

presuming you're using the "Tabular" theme, it would be /usr/share/gnump3d/Tabular.
check out
index.html, line 133
now.html, line 6
search.html, line 116
statistics.html, line 104

change Song(s) to Message(s)

Chris,

Sigh!

It so happens I am using the "Tablar" theme, and already made the
changes you suggested. But it was still necessary to edit gnump3d, gnump3d-index, and gnump3d-top to change the "hard-coded" titles they print out from "Song(s)" to "Messages(s)". If you don't edit these files the statistics and directory listings contain an inconsistent mix of Song/Message titles. Would be nice if the themes and/or config file consitently carried the titles throught the web page dished out by gnump3d.
Having said all this, the number of occurances of the title
"Song(s)" in these modules was small, so it seems like it would be relatively easy to put these title strings as parameters in the gnump3d.conf config file or theme files. (Yeah, easy for me to say ;-)).
The obvious problem I now face is having to re-edit everything
the next time I upgrade!

Folks were talking about adding new language translations to gnump3d. Perhaps *all* the text variables of the various languages could be moved to these language files. Then you just create a new language file and call it Messages with the text you want.

Stan

Stan, you be duh man wid' a plan!

Sounds like an excellent idea--do you know (or anyone else for that matter) when and if
this "new language translation"  feature will be implemented?

The only other issue is support for reverse sorting--is that currently an item on the
"gnump3d Feature Request List"?

For that matter, is there such a thing as a "gnump3d Feature Request List" to
get a feel for what is coming down the pipeline?

Much tnx,

Harry
I don't know much about the language files but as I recall Steve Kemp has given instructions to people on what files to work with for translating.