Re: [Gnump3d-users] Some improvements/changes/features

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Some improvements/changes/features
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 13:37:50 +0000

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 01:31:12PM +0800, Michael Collard wrote:

> I've updated to CVS and made a single patch file for all of the changes
> I've made. These include:

  I'll look at these tomorrow.

> I'll be working on a new playlist plugin now (recoding the existing one
> since it will perform the same kinda thing).

  Having thought about this wouldn't it be simple just to add a
  collection of radio buttons at the top:

    [ ] MP3 only  [ ] OGG Vorbis Only [*] All files

  That could be added into the form display, and then when serving
 the playlists the inappropriate ones could be deleted in the
 _getUsersPlaylist function.

  (ps. if you're looking at the plugin code don't laugh at the
 'package main' statements.  I know that is bad and wrong on many
 levels ....)

> Also, I'll probably do something with authentication. Its not really
> ideal right now, authing for some things and not others. CVS is also
> causing a problem with players that don't do HTTP basic auth. I'll nut
> something better out.

  Yes.  My plan to fix that was to use a new type of plugin, one
 that executes at the start of each connection.

  I haven't thought it through enough just yet to be able to see if
 it is a good idea.  But much like the existing plugins use the
 'wantsPath' and 'handlesPath' routines to know when they are supposed
 to be active I was thinking of :

    1.  All pre-plugins use a routine called 'processConnection'
    2.  When a request is received each plugin which implements that
       method gets called and will be able to rewrite the request as
       they see fit.

  This could be easily used to do the IP based auth.  It could also
 do the .password tests - by decoding the request enough to know
 which directories to search for the password.

  I'd like to seperate out the authentication code anyway and this
 appears to be a good approach.  I'd welcome any thoughts ..
 (The file PLUGINS contains a little comment about this too.)

Steve