[Gnump3d-users] Gnump3d & Amarok

From: David Thorarinsson
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Gnump3d & Amarok
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:16:41 +0100

I use Amarok as my main media player and I was bit by the problem with file
info disappearing and id3 tags not being displayed. Instead Amarok would say
that it was playing a "Radio Stream".

I Googled and found that many had seen the problem but I found no cure (the
problem was even brought up on this list here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnump3d-users/2005-11/msg00049.html). So I
set out to figure this one out myself. I doubted that it was Gnump3d because it
works correctly with XMMS.

Amarok is capable of using different sound engines. I had been using the Xine
engine which has proved to be hassle free and stable. When I changed that to
either GStreamer engine or the aRts engine, the problem went away and Amarok
displayed the correct information in both the app itself and in the on-screen
display.

I might also add that I have never been able to get GStreamer to work properly
for me (I am a Gentoo user). Many are singing praises for GStreamer but I
haven't been able to figure out what the fuss is all about. If I use GStreamer
with Amarok it will play an mp3 for about a minute and then it will stop and
draw the cpu usage up to 100%. Problem goes away if I terminate the app. This
doesn't happen with Xine engine. The aRts engine is a bit flakey. It will work
most of the time but it also seems to have a mind of its own because sometimes
it just stops in the middle of a playlist.

For the ones who dont know where to change engines in Amarok, go to the
Settingsmenu and select "Configure Amarok..." In the window that pops up,
select "Engine". The rest is self explanitory.

Hope this helps the Amarok users out there.ne, the problem went away and Amarok