[Gnump3d-users] APE files in gnump3d

From: David Bosque
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] APE files in gnump3d
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:30:46 +0100

Hello,

This  is  my  first  post  here and want to say that I've really loved
gnump3d from the first moment I installed it :-).

My  question  is  regarding the conversion and streaming of ape files.
I'll  relate  what I've done, and the problem I have found at the very
end.

I've  been  searching  the  list and have found something similar done
with flac files. Here are the steps I have taken:

I have added the following line to /etc/mime.types:

audio/x-ape                                  ape

I have also tried using, to no avail:

audio/mpeg                                   mpga mpega mp2 mp3 m4a ape

I  have  compiled  and  installed  mac-port from sourceforge, found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac-port/

Also there's a small tutorial about it at
http://gimpel.gi.funpic.de/Howtos/convert_ape/

After that, I have added the following lines to gnump3d.conf

downsample_high_ape = /usr/bin/mac $FILENAME - -d | /usr/bin/lame -b 128 -h
--silent - -
downsample_medium_ape = /usr/bin/mac $FILENAME - -d | /usr/bin/lame -b 96 -h
--silent - -
downsample_low_ape = /usr/bin/mac $FILENAME - -d | /usr/bin/lame -b 64 -h
--silent - -

Of course, downsampling enabled and working.

I  have checked that the commands for converting the ape files do work
from  a  command  line,  the problem I have now is that gnump3d is not
recognizing  my  .ape files as audio files and, thus, not showing them
as a choice to be played.

I  have  been  playing  with  the  command  "file"  and  modifying the
/etc/magic  file and /usr/share/misc/file/magic.* files so that "file"
would  recognize a ".ape" as an audio file (thinking gnump3d was using
it to identify audio files) and, indeed, I got it to work, but gnump3d
still was not showing my .ape files in any directory.

I  know  I  am  very, very close to getting it working, so I refuse to
give in. Any brilliant ideas? ;-)

Regards,
David