[Gnump3d-users] Linux newbie questions

From: Iain Cheyne
Subject: [Gnump3d-users] Linux newbie questions
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 22:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all

So far, I'm really impressed with gnump3d, but I have a few questions:

1. I put gnump3d into my /etc/rc.local file, but every time I boot, all the
settings in gnump3d.conf seem to be reset. Specifically, I have to change the
port and music folder every time.

2. When I startup, it tells me that about 3 or 4 files/folders do not have
enough permissions. As I was in a hurry to get it working I just chmod 777'd
them, but there must be a better solution.

3. Can I use a url for my gnump3d homepage, which does *not* include the port
number:8888? My work's facist firewall blocks all URLs with port numbers.

4. Can problems 1 and 2 be fixed by using a user other than gnump3d? I'm not
sure what the significance of this user is. Reading
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/189, Steve Kemp recommends that I
set the permissions to my music folder to a "music" group. I tried that in
Krusader, but failed. How do I do it recursively from the command line?

cheers

Iain