Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:49:17 +0100

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 08:49:14AM -0400, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> Building in a proper auth model is going to get pretty complicated, and
> I'd prefer to not go there.

  I'm just keen to avoid the auth problems which are already present.
  Still I can think about that more later.

> Your schema, while ultimately more flexible, is IMO overly complicated
> for what gnump3d needs.  I'd prefer to keep the DB as flat as possible,
> keeping with the "it's a web view of a directory of music" paradigm we
> work with already.  The primary key should be the path+music file.

  I guess there are pros and cons to both approaches.  In your scheme
 it is hard to extend when new attributes are added, whereas with mine
 the queries get more complex.

> CREATE TABLE gnump3d {
>       db_version int NOT NULL -- so we can upgrade!
> };

  Honestly I'm not sure whether that is worth being present.  The way
 I imagine this working is that the database would be wiped and
 recreated every day or two, (or when the server starts), in a similar
 way to the current tag cache.

  So with that in mind there is never an issue of upgrading, the version
 will be automatically re-created when the software is
 upgraded/restarted.

>  -- It's worth mentioning that all of the below stuff can be
>  -- obtained via a stat() call.

  Noted.

>       bitrate int -- eg "128" ? Personally I'd just drop this,

  Agreed.

  OK how does this look?

    http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/tmp/gnump3d-3.0/bin/gnump3d-indexer

  [tarball in http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/tmp/]