Re: [Gnump3d-users] user identification problems (solved)

From: khp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] user identification problems (solved)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:25:33 +0200

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:32:24 +0200
khp <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:41:53 +0200
> khp <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi list
> >
> > After upgrading gnump3d to 2.9.9.9-1, I get a "401 OK" (no connection to
> > server), even with a successful login. If I remove the "password
> > protection" in /etc/gnump3d/gnump3d.conf, there's  no problem at all... The
> > file ".password" is in the music root directory, with the same permisssions
> > as always (read permission por "gnump3d" user, as that's the user specified
> > in config file). No options specified in /etc/default/gnump3d. Using Debian
> > Etch... Any idea?
> >
> > Thanks for keeping this software alive, Steve ;)
> >
> > Antonio
> >

> Hi again
>
> Obviously, I've been testing the problem, and I've found something funny: the
> music root directory is /var/music. Gnump3d for the users outside the LAN and
> mpd for the LAN users, besides another machine with freevo, use that
> directory or soft-links to it. In /var/music, I have two subdirectories, one
> is "music" and the other is "to be recorded". Well, I've found that with the
> ".password" file in each of the subdirectories, everything works ok with
> gnump3d, except for the fact that anyone can see gnump3d main page. Whenever
> you enter a subdirectory, you're prompted with user/password and there is
> connection without problems. But... a password is asked too in the freevo
> machine.
> It is clear that this is not a solution, but more an added trouble...
> I guessed it was a permissions problem... however, everything's like it
> always has been, that is, gnump3d is the owner of /var/music recursively and
> it has read permission.
> Nobody had this problem with the new version? Can someone tell me which
> .password file permissions should have?
>
> thanks ;)
>
> Antonio

OK, so everything was my fault :(

After digging mailing list, fora et al. and not finding info, I decided to wipe
gnump3d and install it from scratch, without using the /etc/gnump3d.conf that
I've been using for some time now. Guess what? Everything works ok.
The only thing I can think of as being guilty, appart from my stupidity, is the
line

# enable_password_protection = 0

As commented in the config file, password protection is enabled by default; you
only have to create a .password in the music root directory. Well, it seems I
had uncommented the line, changing the value to 1, and it gives the above
error. Commenting it again has solved the problem.
Sorry, I promise I'll make better tests before sending bug reports

Greetings

Antonio

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com