Re: [Gnump3d-users] Re: blank page as result when accessing the root of

From: Marty Huntzberry
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Re: blank page as result when accessing the root of gnump3d-server
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 06:14:02 -0400

What I have done is made all my mp3's owned by user root in group root.  The
execute permissions are 644 on all files in /usr/share/gnump3d/ and 664 for my
mp3 files.  I then symlink the mp3 directory to my gnump3d user
directory (ln -s infile outfile) as the gnump3d user.

Marty

Visit my media server for mp3 downloads: http://linuxhippy.servemp3.com:8001

Markus Drexelius Wrote:

Hi Brandon!

I have fixed the problem: the parent folder of the MP3-root folder
didn't have read and execute permissions for "others" (but for the group
where I have included the user "gnump3d").

Now after "o+x" and "o+r" it works fine.

One (maybe silly) last question: when I enter "groups gnump3d" the
result is: "gnump3d : nogroup gemeinsam"

Could the problem be, that "gnump3d" is member of the group "nogroup"?
Or isn't it a special group that has no effect of the membership to
other groups (like the group "gemeinsam")?

I am asking that, because the group access should permit the user
gnump3d to have execute-access to the parent folder of MP3-root...

So I can't explain to myself, why it doesn't work before, only when I
give execute permissions for everybody it works fine...

Normally I want to give only very restrictive rights to access anything
on my server, so giving everybody directory-listing (execute) and read
access to a directory where other data/directories are stored is not in
this sense of security...

Thanks for the great support!!!!

Yours,

Markus

Brandon Kuczenski schrieb:
 > On Mon, 7 May 2007, Markus Drexelius wrote:
 >
 >> Hi!
 >>
 >> That's a very hot tip!
 >>
 >> When I comment out the user statetment, the gnump3d doesn't appear
in the process list after calling "gnump3d" from root shell. But when I
set "user = root" it works: I can access the root page, it is no longer
blank.

 >> So it seems to be a problem with the file permissions.
 >>
 >> Is it sufficient to give o+r and o+x for the theme directory and o+r
for all files in the theme directory? All files in theme directories are
owned by root and group=root.

 >> I have again changed recursively for all files and folders in the
MP3-directory the group to "gemeinsam", all files have g+r permission.

 > All the files you want other people to see - theme files but also all
music files - should have 644 permissions, and all directories should
have 755.  Then the group membership won't be important.

 > Also make sure that all the directories leading up to them are
world-openable as well.

 > Are you testing whether the server is working from the same machine
or a different machine?

 >> When I set user = gnump3d again, it doesn't work: I will get the
blank page again.

 > It seems to me that gnump3d should report an error if it's having
trouble reading the theme files.  Nothing shows up in error.log?  What
about access.log?

 >> How can I validate, that the user gnump3d is a member of the group
"gemeinsam"? When I try to add via "adduser gnump3d gemeinsam" I get the
result that gnump3d is already member of "gemeinsam"...

 > The 'canonical' way (for me) would be "groups gnump3d" .. you could
also run "grep gnump3d /etc/group"

 > Good luck,
 > Brandon
 >

 >> Brandon Kuczenski schrieb:

experiments to get it working. The last one is port 80 and on port 80 I
can access gnump3d (but only with the white page).

 >>> Perhaps there is a problem with the theme.  Have you tried a
different theme?

 >>> Try running as root (comment out the user = gnump3d line) to see if
maybe there is a file access permission problem?

 >>> -Brandon

the #. After that the following error message appears, when I start gnump3d: