Re: [Gnump3d-users] Is port 80 a security issue when root?

From: Jim Lucas
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Is port 80 a security issue when root?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:22:37 -0800

Marty Huntzberry wrote:
usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth+ -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8001

Much much easier

Dave

That seems to be working on server side.  How can I know for sure at my server?
 Also, I have 2 firewalls.
One is hard wired on my router and I have opened up the HTTP service (port 80)
and the ShoutCast Streaming
service (Ports 8000-8005).  The other is iptables where I have opened up the
same ports (80 and 8001).  Which
ports in my firewalls can I close?

Marty