Looking to contribute to GNUnet

From: valdaarhun
Subject: Looking to contribute to GNUnet
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:18:52 +0530

Hi,

My name is Sahil. I go by the pseudonym valdaarhun on Github.
I have an interest in P2P systems and network engineering. I
had worked on a semester long research project [1] on P2P
networks on distributed key generation under a professor while
in university as psart of my bachelor's program.

I am no longer in university but would like to continue working
in this realm outside of my day job. The P2P developed as part
of my project was an impractical one tailored for the purposed
of the project. I would now like to get hands-on experience on
a practical P2P network and architecture.

I am not eligible for GSoC but would like to engage with the
community and look forward to becoming a long-term contributor
to GNUnet.

I have already started going through the documentation [2] but
haven't set up a development environment yet. I'll do that too.

I have taken a look at the project' roadmap [3]. Some items are very
intersting such as onion routing with RPS but they have been planned
to be worked on after the 1.0 release.

I would love to get some advice on what I could work on as a first
project. In the roadmap, the checkbox for NAT hasn't been checked
under the TNG section. Can I help out with that?

Or how's the idea of writing a new communicator plugin for TNG?
For eg., a plugin for XMPP [4]? I am not sure if this needed in GNUnet.
I thought I would put my idea out there to get some feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Sahil
https://github.com/valdaarhun

[1] https://github.com/valdaarhun/Distributed-Key-Generation-Algorithm
[2] https://docs.gnunet.org/latest/
[3] https://www.gnunet.org/en/roadmap.html
[4] https://xmpp.org/

PS: I sent the above email earlier but I had not subscribed to the mailing
list at the time. I believe this email might have been sent to the
moderator's queue because of that. I have subscribed to the mailing list
now. I thought I would try resending the email so it lands in the mailing
list's inbox. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.