gpsd-users

Re: ubxtool and python 3

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ubxtool and python 3
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 20:24:10 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 21:00:10 -0500
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Some good news - I disabled SBAS (M8T, I am pretty sure), and saw on
> xgps "3D" (no DIFF), and then when I enabled ntrip saw DIFF, and
> convinced myself the positioning was much tighter.  Between reading
> the code, tcpdump, web pages, and your hints, I am now convinced I am
> actually getting differential corrections over NTRIP.

Cool.

> I tried to run ubxtool via gpsd with ntrip, and got an error about
> mulitple devices.

Yes, just pick the proper device.  ubxtool knows nothing of non u-blox.

> I would sort of expect it can figure out which is a
> ublox and which isn't, and use the sole one, but that's another story.

Patches welcome.  7.5k lines of code in 18 months.  A lot more could
be done.

> I then read the man page to select one, and:
>
>   $ ubxtool  -p  CFG-GNSS localhost:2947:/dev/dtyU0
>   ubxtool: poll CFG-GNSS
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/pkg/bin/ubxtool", line 7066, in <module>
>       command["command"](gps, command["opt"])
>     File "/usr/pkg/bin/ubxtool", line 6239, in send_poll
>       gps_model.gps_send(m_data[0], m_data[1], m_data[2:])
>     File "/usr/pkg/bin/ubxtool", line 5699, in gps_send
>       self.gps_send_raw(m_all)
>     File "/usr/pkg/bin/ubxtool", line 5704, in gps_send_raw
>       io_handle.ser.write(m_all)
>     File "/usr/pkg/bin/ubxtool", line 6811, in write_gpsd
>       data_out = b'?DEVICE={"path":"' + opts['target']['device'] +
> b'",' TypeError: can't concat str to bytes

Ouch.  I admit to still mostly using python2.  I'll fix that.

Odd that you are in /usr/pkg.  I assume you forced that somehow?

> think I have run into a python 3 bug (3.7.5 here).

Looks more like a ubxtool bug to me.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588