grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] /bin/sh: /src/grep: No such file or directory

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] /bin/sh: /src/grep: No such file or directory
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:01:20 -0700

Jim Meyering wrote:
I was dismayed to see some of these when building grep:

   /bin/sh: /src/grep: No such file or directory

I propose to fix it with the following (bearing in mind my
requirement that we use just-built tools as much as possible,
to increase coverage). Suggestions for improvement welcome.

I see you didn't installed that and when I tried it it still had problems on Solaris, since it defined a shell function fn_grep and attempted to use it as a command in subprocesses or via Makefiles, which doesn't work.

The whole thing was a bit flaky, and after thinking about it I'd prefer it if makefiles and scripts use the just-built 'grep' only when testing grep, not when building grep. If the just-built 'grep' is wrong, it can cause the build to go awry in subtle ways and this could be trouble. Coreutils doesn't use its just-built 'cat' when configuring or building itself, and Grep should do likewise with its just-built 'grep'.

So I boldly installed the attached patch, which fixes the problem in a more-conservative way. Although this places a minor burden on people building GNU Grep on Solaris, these days those folks can easily install a working grep from the standard Solaris distribution, which they probably should be doing anyway in order to build other GNU packages.

If you see any problem with this please feel free to revert it.