[Groff] Re: Groff beta website.

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: [Groff] Re: Groff beta website.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:50:43 -0600

Hey Eddie,

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 03:57:46AM -0500, Eddie Maddox wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Hi Edma,
> my user name on ffii.org
Sorry for that.

> OK, folks. Listen up. This is important. This is part of transitioning to
> XML,
XML will take some time.
Any wll structured website should easily be transported.

> Has XML, in any form, been discussed as a growth path for groff?
I'm not a real groff person, but I fail to see the reson to use
groff, which is old-style typesetting (/markup) processor to
create webpages. It would be nice to produce XML document for
printing (like docbook).

But like I said, you are the groff persons.
I don't have the overview. :)

> Thanks for the pointers. Several good lists of tips and guidelines out
> there, including tips on BAD web design, too. Glad your list is shorter
> for starters.
That was just the core.

> I expect to follow the GNU/FSF Web Site Guidelines. I like them. I like
> their site, too. Good model of very good design. Comments? Anyone?
> http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html

It is resonable, but reflects the FSF's needs.
You can skip the copyright section. Most of the general guidelines
are not nice. The FSF tend to make very large pages, which I dislike.
I think the email should be a person, which results in a better
relationship. And relative links are a good thing.

Okay: Check out http://www.useit.com and the alertbox for a lot more
hints on webusability.
        Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting                       (intevation.de)