Re: [Groff] nop request

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] nop request
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:18:03 +0100 (BST)

On 04-Sep-00 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> So, while I can see the point of Werner's proposal, I think it would
>> be a very good idea to call it something else. Maybe ".pad"? I don't
>> have a clearly good suggestion for the name.
>
> What about `.nor' (no-operation request)?  Or just using a symbol,
> e.g. `.!' or `."'?

I'd sooner go for a real "name" (e.g. "nor") rather than a symbol.

Don't forget that strings, macros and diversions share name space,
and one way or another most "symbols" are either already or potentially
used (e.g. \*" or \*: for an umlaut; I use \*! for an under-dot accent
[keeping \*. for an over-dot], \*~ for tilde, etc.). So, e.g.,

  .     ! Hallo

would evoke the under-dot code in my case ...

That being said, I can't see a specific objection to Werner's
suggestion of "nor".

Ted.