Re: [Groff] influencing page size on build

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] influencing page size on build
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:02:18 +0100 (BST)

On 21-Sep-00 Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> G Hasse wrote:
>>
>> I patch the /usr/share/groff_font/devps/DESC file and change
>> the value "paperlength 843400"
>
> This file did not exist on my system. It seems to be trying to parse
> something in /etc, and getting it wrong (not everyone runs DNS). I'd
> like to be able to set the option explicitly, rather than have
> configure go through lots of heuristics and get it wrong.

The usual path is /usr/share/groff/font/devps/DESC and not what
G Hasse wrote. In any case, different groff installs may set up
different paths to the groff tree. The thing to do is to search
for DESC with something like

  find / -name DESC -print | grep groff

(just in case there's a non-groff DESC lurking somewhere). The
DESC file is definitively where the default paperlength setup lurks
(and from which \n[.p] is set).

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749