-modern macros [WasRe: [Groff] Colours & smart quotes]

From: Andy Fletcher
Subject: -modern macros [WasRe: [Groff] Colours & smart quotes]
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:47:25 +0000

At 10:13 03/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
Stewart C. Russell wrote:
<snip />

Actually, there's plenty of "Qbpf" out there -- between the
groff.texinfo manual, the Groff & Friends HOWTO, and the
historic AT&T documentation, it's mostly covered. The problem
is, "someone" needs to collect & organize it all, and perhaps
fill in a few missing pieces. As a single manual, it would be
intimidating -- I estimate over 500 pages. My mental outline
consists of two documents: a user guide (covering the standard
macro packages) and a macro hacker's reference.

I couldn't agree more, I started using groff about a year ago and found that there is a general shortage of easily locatable information and what I could find was scattered around the web. Until your last email I didn't even know that "Groff & Friends HOWTO" even existed - how about posting it on the Groff website?. Guess what is going to hit my printer tonight.

<snip />
I've actually started a prototype of a
"-modern" macro package; so far it consists of about 50 lines
of macro code on top of -ms. Some of the design goals are to
support cross-references, put the table of contents up front
where it belongs, build screen-oriented PDFs, and easy trans-
lation to HTML or possibly Docbook. (Grohtml is a brilliant
piece of work, but I'm a near-purist.) I'll make it available
when I have more of it working.

I am really looking forward to this macro package, if it meets half of your design goals then it will be extremely useful.

regards

Andy