[Groff] Is there a good man page style guide somewhere?

From: peter
Subject: [Groff] Is there a good man page style guide somewhere?
Date: 11 Oct 2001 01:25:31 -0000

I'm learning [gt]roff in order to write good man pages for some
of my software, and one problem I'm encountering is that I'm not
exactly sure what a man page *should* look like.  I've been advised
to look at existing man pages and copy what I see there, but there are
subtle differences and I'm not sure which is better.

There are a whole bunch of little details that seem worth getting right.
When typesetting the option "[-z level]", should there be a space between
"-z" and "level"?  I have seen it both ways.  The groff(1) man page omits
the space, but my Debian man(1) man page inclides them.

perlrun(1) is inconsistent with itself, putting no space in
"[ -Idir ]" and "[ -Fpattern ]", but a space in "[ -e 'command' ]".

Should there be a space (\ , or something different?) between the option
brackets and the option inside?  Again, groff(1) includes these spaces,
but man(1) and man(7) omit them.

(I happen to like the latter better visually, but the former seems more
prevalent in "classic" Unix man pages.  But interestingly, SunOS 4.1.4
troff(1) and man(1) are styled just like their Linux counterparts...)

To say nothing of the issues that show up in parts other than SYNOPSIS.

Is there a reference guide somewhere?
(And is there somewhere else I should be asking?)o

Thanks!