Re: [Groff] Re: Fw: Groff patch for correct HTML

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Fw: Groff patch for correct HTML
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:11:52 -0500

Paul Sheer wrote:

> what I am trying to do is make *all* Linux documentation
> browsable with one application. See
>       http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/info-sux.html

I mostly agree with your assessment of info as a documentation
format. But as a tech writer, I would say that you can create
good documentation in info -- you have to give proper names to
nodes and structure the document so that basic stuff is one or
two links from the top. OTOH, you can take the best doc system
there is (I don't know what that is though) and use it to create
lousy documentation. "You can write FORTRAN in any language."

KDE's help browser does a lot of what you're aiming for
already -- a URL like   man:groff  or  info:groff  (or
file:///usr/local/doc/groff.html if it exists) formats &
displays the proper document with a decent interface.

        Larry