Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:00:56 +0000

Hi Clarke,

> The 14-character filename limit disappeared from HP-UX about 1989 (I
> think it was coincidental with the move to POSIX, but I don't recall
> for sure -- it may have been related to a new AT&T release -perhaps
> System V, Release 2).  That was over 12 years ago.  Should we concern
> ourselves with supporting 12-year-old technology when MAXNAMLENGTH or
> whatever it's called went to at least 256 characters many moons ago?

Have you just answered my question with the same one?  :-)

The GNU coding standards has this to say

    "Some GNU programs were designed to limit themselves to file names
    of 14 characters or less, to avoid file name conflicts if they are
    read into older System V systems. Please preserve this feature in
    the existing GNU programs that have it, but there is no need to do
    this in new GNU programs. doschk also reports file names longer
    than 14 characters."

I'd guess James Clark stuck with 14 originally.

Ralph.