Re: [Groff] (no longer anything to do with) groff_ms.man

From: Stewart C. Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] (no longer anything to do with) groff_ms.man
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:23:44 +0000

Larry Jones wrote:

> > I know many people who are RABIDLY against PDF, as it is a proprietary
> > file format.
>
> No it's not -- Adobe has published the full specification.  See
> <http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/technotes/acrobatpdf.html>.

but on that very page:

"Patent Clarification Notice

Adobe has a number of patents and patents pending, covering technology
that is disclosed in the Portable Document Format (PDF) Specification,
version 1.3 and later, as documented in PDF Reference and associated
technical notes."

Adobe also make it public that their Acrobat tools need not support PDF
generated by anything other than the official Adobe software. We had to
sweet-talk some of our printers to touch our Ghostscript 7.03-made PDFs,
as apparently their preflight tools were complaining about the non-Adobe
source.

I don't know where this leaves PDF/X, the ANSI standard subset.

 Stewart