[Groff] Re: Trouble compiling groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: Trouble compiling groff
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:29:50 +0200 (CEST)

From: Jun Sawataishi <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling groff
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 00 23:38:07 +0900

> I have finished porting GNU groff 1.16.1 to OS/2.

Sorry for not reacting such a long time.

I've now integrated most of your patches into groff's CVS.  As you may
know, a lot of things have changed meanwhile, for example, grohtml has
been split into a pre- and postprocessor.

Some remarks.

  . I have added $(EXEEXT) to all binaries in the Makefile.sub files.
    Since I don't know exactly how perl and sh scripts work under
    OS/2, please advise what I shall do there.

  . Please have a look at Eli Zaretskii's MS-DOS support for Emacs
    (resp. his changes for groff).  Can you do it in a similar way?
    Providing small sed scripts might be easier to support in the long
    term compared to patch files.  A particular issue is replacing
    `/bin/sh' with `sh', or fixing `mkinstalldirs'.

  . If EMX needs fcntl.h, the right place is to put it into the file
    nonposix.h; simply add a new #ifdef section for EMX -- I won't do
    this due to lack of knowledge, so please provide a new patch.  If
    some files need more EMX-specific stuff, please include nonposix.h
    instead of adding `#ifdef __EMX__' to the particular file.

  . Same for getcwd -> _getcwd2 (as needed in indxbib).

  . I've added a macro GS_NAME (in nonposix.h) which defaults to
    `gs', and which can be appropriately overridden.

  . I don't understand why you've added `setmode(1, O_BINARY)' to the
    output of grohtml -- it produces text, not binary data.  Or am I
    missing something?

  . Please modify your code for OS2_DEFAULT_INDEX in refer and lkbib.
    I believe it would be a good idea if you could implement support
    for a generic GROFF_REFER_DATABASE environment variable (without
    an OS/2-specific variant) which can be used on other platforms
    too.

  . The same for OS2_COMMON_WORDS_FILE in indxbib.  If you don't have
    a better name, I suggest GROFF_COMMON_WORDS for the environment
    variable.

  . Changes to xditview are delayed since I (or a volunteer) will
    integrate it into groff's Makefile system soon.

       Werner