[GROFF] Cross References

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [GROFF] Cross References
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:45:00 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, I give up.  I've been trying all evening to get cross referencing to
work, but nothing - there simply is no .qrf file produced after the first
run.  Here's a sample document I grabbed off another list:

.P 1
.INITR catrefs
.H 1 "This is a chapter about dogs"
Some test text
.SETR dog
.H 1 "Care and treatment of hamsters"
and, finally don`t forget how useful they
can be as a source of protein for your dog,
.GETR dog
and as a source of sport and amusement for your
cat (See page
.GETPN cats
).
.H 1 "Cats"
.SETR cats

Now, I process this with groff -mm; according to the man 7 groff_mm, the
file catrefs.qrf should be produced, but it isn't.  I've tried also
groff -mm -U and (after looking at the source of m.tmac)
groff -mm ... 2> catrefs.qrf.  Again, nothing.  (BTW, I've tried this both
with the official release and the development snapshot).

While I'm here, a couple of other questions.  How modular are the modules
in m.tmac and s.tmac?  Can I lift the whole qrf module from m.tmac and put
it at the top of an -ms document?

It is possible to save a string with the .SETR request, and retrieve it
with .GETST -- could that string be the footnote number current when the
.SETR is processed?  Would this be the way to do it:

.SETR LabelA \n[ft*nr]

Thanks, Robert.