Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:56:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Bernd Warken <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > There seems to exist some need for a groff document on macro programming;
> > the wish for such a documentation was uttered already several times.
> > So we should start a project for a new groff manual with the subjects
> > - macros with ancient troff
> > - macros with the full power of groff

There *is* a book on `ancient troff' available online:

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/

This is Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly's 1987 book Unix Text Processing.
The full text (several hundred pages) is available, though not in the most
convenient form (large scans of individual pages - a tarball of the .pbm
files is 37 Mb (!)) - but even with a modem it is possible to browse the
book page by page.

Robert.