Re: [Groff] Re: Grog fails to guess mm document

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Grog fails to guess mm document
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:17:00 +0200

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:46:08PM +0200, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> Well, I feel uneasy about installing as important a package as
> groff from source. I think I'll just wait for the Debian
> maintainer to include a recent enough version in unstable. The
> version there is currently 1.17.2-17 which probably wouldn't
> help me (?)

There isn't any problem about installing a second groff.  You install
your own version into /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.  while the
distribution goes to /usr/bin and /usr/share.  Compiling and installing
your own groff does not inflict any parts of your distribution - and
it's very easy.

- Extract the groff tar archive or copy your CVS sandbox tree to some
directory, e.g. to /usr/local/src/groff.
- Change to this directory.
- Call the shell command `./configure' (ignore all messages).
- Call `make'.
- As user `root' call `make install'.

That's all.

If you want to get rid of your compiled groff version just go to the
groff source directory and run `make uninstall' (as `root').

Bernd Warken