Re: [Groff] Edit comments for ch06.t

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] Edit comments for ch06.t
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:09:48 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:36:32PM -0400, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Meg McRoberts wrote:
>

> > - Page 16, a boxed example has "I" outside the splined
> >   box.  But in general, these boxes are looking much better!
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too (the escaping text & the improvement).
> Jon, any ideas?

I noticed that too but didn't chase it down.  I'll take another look
and figure out what's happening.

> That reminds me... I had to enclose one of the listings in .KS/.KE
> to get it to stay on the page. Should that not be the default?

I don't think so.  In general I like to keep that sort of thing under
the control of the user.  If you want to float the listing, add the
.KS/.KE.  If you don't for some reason (maybe its longer than a page,
e.g.) then you can do your own adjustments as you see fit.

I learned that philosophy from Rich Stevens who even removed the .ne
from macros so that he could control page alignment better.  We're
not trying to align pages, so we don't need to be that radical, but
I think this is one case where we should leave it to the user.  That
said, we can do whatever people want to do.  Just let me know.

Jon Snader