Re: [Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:22:07 +0000

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 03:46:50AM +0900, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> At Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:44:39 +0100,
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Now that groff 1.18.1 has been released, I need to resync the Japanese
> > patch anyway so I should probably merge this into the Debian groff
> > package. Have you reached agreement on whether this additional glyph is
> > a good idea?
>
> I've merged multibyte patch to 1.18.1
> http://people.debian.org/~ukai/groff/

I've applied this, and it mostly looks good. One thing that's changed is
that, when I'm using the latin1 device and have LC_CTYPE set to C, the
iconv encoding handler converts high-bit-set characters in the output to
'?', whereas formerly they were passed through unchanged and it was left
to the pager to do whatever it could with them. Note that man-db assumes
that English man pages are written in Latin-1, and sets LESSCHARSET
accordingly.

Is this a bug or a bugfix? (I initially thought the former, but perhaps
I should never have expected latin1 output in LC_CTYPE=C to work.)

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden