Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:16:31 -0500 (EST)

Tadziu Hoffmann writes:

> (Isn't that for orphans?  I thought a widow was
> the last line of a paragraph on a new page.)

No, you've got them exactly backwards.  A widow is the first line of a
paragraph at the bottom of the page with the rest of the paragraph on
the next page; an orphan is the last line of a paragraph at the top of a
page with the rest of the paragraph on the preceding page.  Think of a
traditional family tree with parents at the top and children at the
bottom and the "orphan" part, at least, is clear.

-Larry Jones

I've never seen a sled catch fire before. -- Hobbes