[Groff] Revised version of the proposed revised START macro for -mom

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: [Groff] Revised version of the proposed revised START macro for -mom
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:35:01 -0800 (PST)

of the -mom macros), I made the following changes:

1) TITLE_DOCHEADER is now DEFAULT_DOCHEADER.

2) The space after the docheader is adjusted so that
the text should line up on the bottom margin. However,
I used a different algorithm that calculates the
height of the docheader directly and doesn't require
#DOCHEADER_LINES. So far, the result seems identical
to the original algorithm from -mom, and the new
algorithm has the advantage of accounting for things
like graphics and spacing adjustments within the
macros.

I did find that to further modify the START macro to
adjust the line spacing, I had to work around a weird
(mis?)feature of the ALD macro, namely that this

.if <conditional> \{ .ALD <number> \}

and this

.if <conditional> \{\
.   ALD <number>