Re: [Groff] About TrueType Fonts

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] About TrueType Fonts
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:34:48 -0500

At 01:13 p.m. 07/02/2003 -0600, Iván Garcerant wrote:

I'm trying to use a True Type font in a groff
document. I start with a TrueType font take from the
CD1 of Corel Draw 9. The file .ttf is copied in
/usr/share/groff/1.18.1/devps/

Here, I use ttf2afm (from teTeX-1.0.7) for create a
new file .afm. Then use afmtodit (using the Makefile
for try to understand the command) I use the DESC file
and the textmap placed in devps/generate.

Hmmm... How are you previewing your output file? If you are using a postscript previewer, you need to make the truetype font available to it somehow and just having it in the font server may not be enough! It would if you are using xditview (As far as I know Solaris is the only OS that has a print spooling system with access to the fonts defined in the display manager... But as you didn't say what OS you use, I can only use my fantastic powers of prescience ;-).

Therefore, the best would be to make the truetype font available directly for download to groff, so that it can be loaded by your previewer (be it DPS or Ghostscript based). In order to accomplish this you need to wrap the font into a Type 42 wrapper and add it to devps' Download file. I've had the best results using ttftot42 which requires Freetype 1.3 (*not* Freetype 2 as used by XFree86!!!)... See grops(1) for download details. (And use /usr/share/groff/site-fonts/devps/ for your new fonts and download file, not /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/devps/, this way you don't loose your work in case of a version or a system upgrade).

Cheers,

Alejo