[Groff] Is SGR b0rken, or am I missing something?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] Is SGR b0rken, or am I missing something?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:06:32 -0500

I've noticed that when formatting manpages and other *roff documents
using:

        groff -Tascii -mfoo document.foo | more

That lines with highlighting get wrapped at the end. It was just tonight
that I realized it was wrapping 6 characters per highlight on/off sequence,
which one might expect if those 3-character sequences were counted as
part of the line length. Turning it off (-P-c) fixes the wrap problem.

This happens with groff 1.18.1 on Debian/x86 and yesterday's CVS on
MacOSX, so it's not limited to a particular architecture (although both
systems are using gcc 2.95.x). I didn't see anything about it in the
archives, and I went all the way back to September 2002, so I was
wondering whether I'm the only one seeing it... or has everyone else
put GROFF_NO_SGR in their profile? :-)
--
Larry Kollar        k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: the Revival