[Groff] groff behaving oddly

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [Groff] groff behaving oddly
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:52:30 -0500 (EST)

Just got the latest groff with the patched tty.cc.  Have noticed a couple
of odd behaviours:

(1) Try 'man more' - a whole lot of groff requests (.if, .ie, .el and
.nop, in the main) are passed through verbatim, whether to postscript or
tty.  I've included the more manpage from my distribution, plus the result
of groff -man more.1.  I was looking at the more manpage recently and it
didn't have these formatting oddities.

(2) Underlining is messed up when viewing a manpage in a rxvt terminal
(but not xterm).  groff -Tlatin1 -man groff.7 | less -R, for instance, has
any indent preceding underlined text also underlined; after I quit less,
all text in the terminal continues to be underlined.  This occurs whether
I use less or more; but, as I said, only in rxvt, not xterm.  I've
included a screenshot of the behaviour.

R.

--
Robert Goulding