Re: [Groff] Doubly slanted Greek in PDF

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Doubly slanted Greek in PDF
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:13:26 -0500

At 08:24 p.m. 08/04/2003, Robert D. Goulding wrote:
Though I'm guessing that 7.05 has the problem with ZDR which Werner drew
our attention to.  BTW, just tried pstill on the same file, and it also
places the \(rh glyph in the wrong place.  Can anyone try out Acrobat on
Werner's file?

Yes, it has the problem.

I think the problem is in the actual postscript programs used to create both synthetic fonts, as Tadziu Hoffman has already pointed out elsewhere, JawsPDF exhibits similar problems, and it is 95% compatible with Adobe Distiller 4. That's the reason I made the GroffDingbats font ;-)

BTW, I have a type 1 version of the BBDing METAFONT at CTAN, very similar to Zapf Dingbats, that already contains both the \(rh and \(lh symbols, among others. I have uploaded it to my home page, see http://dradul.tripod.com/. It´d make me happy donating it to the project. The license terms are identical to the UWR++ fonts included with GNU GS and teTeX. Werner?

Another thought.  Instead of artifically slanting the S font, why not use
the true Greek Times italic font which comes with most Linux systems?
(On my RH system, it is at /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-7/Type1/grktimi.pfb).
This would of course avoid any problems with ghostscript. If it is thought
to be a good idea, I am happy to provide the pfb and a grops metric for
the font (the font is GPL'ed).

That's probably a good idea. Or creating a slanted version of the URW++ GPLed Standard Sym L font to be included with groff.