Re: [Groff] vim syntax files

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] vim syntax files
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:55:41 -0500

At 08:29 p.m. 28/04/2003, Robert D. Goulding wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've taken over the maintenance of the n/groff syntax files included in the
> vim distribution. Sooo, feel free to send your patches this way.

This is great news! the vim syntax file has rather fallen behind groff
development.  The most egregious flaw of vim's groff support is that the
groff.vim file does not contain the essential line

let n:nroff_is_groff=1

so that nroff.vim does not, by default, recognize long macro names etc.

Ooops!... Fixed, and should appear in vim 6.2c. Please download vim 6.2b and give it a through beating (besides the fact that it is the best vim you can get, it has a somewhat improved nroff.vim file that needs more testing. Ahh! vim recognizes mom files now! :)

The existence of groff.vim is an interesting problem with a rather convoluted history. Making a long story short, groff.vim is a sort of hack to apease the minds of those who expect the file to be there, but nroff.vim is the way to go. groff.vim should be considered a helper if and only wants to do serious brain surgery on filetype.vim (where syntax recognition is setup).

> I am particularly interested in help with writing syntax files for the
> preprocessors.

I'll be happy to contribute...

And I'll be happy to receive the help :) I'm a white spacing bigot, thus my first priority is to find a magic syntax rule that will allow me to mark two or more spaces after punctuation marks (.!?) as a syntax error. Nothing I've tried yet has worked as I expected. :(