Re: [Groff] The hyphenation exception file -- hyphenex.<lang>

From: sigfrid . lundberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] The hyphenation exception file -- hyphenex.<lang>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:59:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Groff now comes with a file hyphenex.us, Is that the opposite of the
> > hyphen.us, patterns that should _not_ be used? Or should I understand
> > exception in some other way :)
>
> Barbara Beeton publishes a list of hyphenation exceptions (this is, a
> list of words which aren't hyphenated correctly by the default
> US-English patterns) irregularly in TUGBoat, the TeX Users Group
> magazine.

Now I understand.

> I've written a small perl script to convert the latest
> version of this list into something which groff's (and TeX's)
> hyphenation algorithm can understand; the resulting word list with
> the fixed hyphenation positions is put into hyphenex.us.

I like that idea!!

To use the hyphen.us I write

.hpl us
.hpf hyphen.us

and then groff will loock for my hyphenation patterns in those directories
that can be accessed by .mso -- if I understand correctly. That is (in my
installation -- /usr/share/groff/x.y.x/tmac

Obviously, I have already copied the sehyph.tex to

/usr/share/groff/x.y.x/tmac/hyphen.se

and is for texts in my native language using

.hpl se
.hpf hyphen.se

Next step is then to create hyphenex.se -- containing those patterns I
have felt I need. I have them all over the place in files containing stuff
like

.hw av-stav-nings-reg-ler

which I .so at the start of a document

Will troff automagically look for a hyphenex.se if I set hyphenation
language to Swedish?

Thanks

Sigge