[Groff] Re: grohtml patches

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: grohtml patches
Date: 24 Nov 2003 13:57:35 +0000

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> Gaius,
>

> I've just looked a bit closer to your patches.  The change regarding
> round_width is basically good, but IMHO at the wrong place.  It causes
> a loss of information if you already round in printer.cpp.  Have a
> look at tty.cpp from grotty; there you can find the following code:
>
>   void tty_printer::set_char(int i, font *f, const environment *env,
>                              int w, const char *)
>   {
>     if (w != font::hor)
>       fatal("width of character not equal to horizontal resolution");

Hi Werner,

sure ok, I've moved round_width into post-grohtml and introduced a
virtual method `round_width' into the printer class. I've then
provided an identity round_width method to all device drivers and a
html specific method to post-grohtml.

> . Sometimes, indentation is lost.  For example, look at pic-16.html.
>   The line
>
>    for variable = expr1 to expr2 [by [*]expr3] do X body X
>
>   should be indented.  I'm not sure whether this is a problem in
>   grohtml or missing support in the ms macros.

thanks for spotting this, there was a problem in post-grohtml, which
is hopefully fixed now.

> . On the last page, pic-23.html, I see
>
>     [ prev | next | top ]
>
>   which should be
>
>    [ prev | top ]
>
>   instead.  A similar problem can be seen in pic-1.html.

thanks again, fixed I think.

> . groff.css isn't mentioned Makefile.in.  It should probably be
>   handled similarly to grnexmpl.g, this is, copied from $(srcdir) to
>   the current directory if srcdir != builddir.

ok done.

. added the correct command to doc/Makefile.in following grnexampl.g.
. minor fixes doc/Makefile.in to help building outside src tree.
. fixed the centering of images inside an indented region.

> what do you think about adding keywords to the grohtml DESC file to
> control the name of gs?  As you know, the binary name of gs depends
> on the platform; there are at least four possibilities according to
> the gs man page: gs, gswin32c, gswin32, and gsos2.  The configure
> script could then contain some code to automatically adjust that.

. done, ./configure tries to detect where gs lives and updates devhtml/DESC
  appropriately. It could be improved by introducing a --withgs=/usr/bin/gs
  option though..

anyway here all the patches together with the diversion patches..

Gaius