Re: [Groff] Hyphens and Dashes

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hyphens and Dashes
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:48:28 -0500

At 07:49 p.m. 30/03/2004, Andrew J. Piziali wrote:
   Since we do have some professional typesetters in this community,
perhaps you might offer some advise on the proper length hyphen (or
dash) to use for an interjected phrase in a sentence.  For example,
"I might state -- for the sake of emphasis -- that I am also annoyed by
the proliferation of spam messages."  What is the proper length "--" to
use in formatted output?  I have been using the -ms "\*-" character,
somewhat long, but definitely sets the phrase apart.  I could also use
"\-" (a bit shorter) or "-" (shorter still, a true hyphen).

Andy,

I'm no professional typographer, more the amateur and lover-of-the-craft kind, but I do have a few observations of my own.

The use of the hyphen is a matter of taste and typographic tradition. You should consult an authoritative source, which in the case of the US is the Chicago Manual of Style (lacking a better standardized source). In my copy it indicates that the proper hyphen in those cases is the em-dash (u2014). Yet, if you think it is too long, you could use a three-quarter dash (u2015). Typography standards are defined by cultural tradition, and as such they exist to be bent, broken and discarded, as far as the end result is artistically pleasing ;-). If you live in England (or a country of the Commonwealth) the traditions are different and you should consult other reference work (preferably edited at Oxford :-).

Typographical tradition changes from country to country *and* from age to age: change has become so fast that what was valid in the middle of last century is not anymore. To give you an example: the typesetting of quotes in Spanish, as that is what is closer to home in my particular case. Since the times of the French Farnesio family becoming rulers of Spain in the early XIX Century (the Borbón family, present Spanish ruling dynasty), perhaps earlier, the use of quotes has followed the French tradition. That is, quotes are the gillemets (« and », Unicode u00AB and u00BB). Yet, with the advent of desktop computing technology you'll find that in American Spanish speaking countries, *and* in Spain(!!!), most people just use "English typographical quotes" (meaning the "US ASCII typographic quote" which is what I am using here --- Unicode u0022.) If using some "smart" WYSIWYHYMG[1] word processing package, it will probably use English "typographer quotes", u201C and u201D and you can't change it easily --- with the exception of OpenOffice.org, btw. Thus, it is very difficult to find any book written in Spanish and edited and published in the last 20 years that has correct typographical use of quotes, because most people around these here parts use MS-Word (the joke!) to prepare final copy for the printers.

[1] What you see is what you hope you might get.

Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/
The limits of my language are the limits of my world.
(L. Wittgenstein)