[Groff] new groff release 1.19.1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] new groff release 1.19.1
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:49:05 +0200 (CEST)

groff 1.19.1 has been released.

It is available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/groff/ and mirrors of that site
(see list of mirror sites at http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).  Current
snapshots are available from ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/.

groff is the GNU implementation of troff, a document formatting system.
Included in this release are implementations of troff, pic, eqn, tbl, grn,
refer, -man, -mdoc, -mom, and -ms macros, and drivers for PostScript, TeX dvi
format, HP LaserJet 4 printers, Canon CAPSL printers, HTML format (still
alpha), and typewriter-like devices.  Also included is a modified version of
the Berkeley -me macros, an enhanced version of the X11 xditview previewer,
and an implementation of the -mm macros.

See below for the relevant snippet from the NEWS file.

Bug reports should go to address@hidden

Enjoy!

   Werner

VERSION 1.19.1
==============

Groff
-----

o The argument of the command line option `-I' is now also passed to troff
  and grops, specifying a directory to search for files on the command line,
  files named in `so' and `psbb' requests, and files named in \X'ps: file'
  and \X'ps: import' escapes.

o If option `-V' is used more than once, the commands will be both printed
  on standard error and run.

Troff
-----

o Two new read-only, string-valued registers `.m' and `.M' return the
  name of the current drawing and background color, respectively.

o New read-only register `.U' which is set to 1 if in safer mode and set
  to 0 if in unsafe mode.

o An input encoding file for latin-5 (a.k.a. ISO 8859-9) has been added.
  Example use:

    groff -Tdvi -mlatin5 my_file > my_file.dvi

  Note that some output devices don't support all glyphs of this encoding.

o If the `return' request is called with an argument, it exits twice,
  namely the current macro and the macro one level higher.  This is
  used to define a wrapper macro for `return' in trace.tmac.

o For completeness, two new requests have been added: `dei1' and `ami1'.
  They are equivalent to `dei' and `ami', respectively, but the macros
  are executed with compatibility mode off (similar to `de1' and `am1').

o New command line option `-I' to specify a directory for files (both
  those on the command line and those named in `psbb' requests).  This is
  also handled by the groff wrapper program.

o Since version 1.19 you can say `.vs 0'.  Older versions emit a warning
  and convert this to `.vs \n[.V]'.

  This hasn't been documented properly.  Note that `.vs 0' isn't saved in a
  diversion since it doesn't result in vertical motion.

Pic
___

o Dashed and dotted ellipses have been implemented.

Tbl
---

o New key character `x' to make tbl call a user-defined macro on a table
  cell.  Patch by Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <address@hidden>.

Grap2graph
----------

o A new script contributed by Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>.  It
  converts a grap diagram into a cropped image.  Since it uses gs and the
  PNM library, virtually all graphics formats are available for output.
  [Note that the grap program itself isn't part of the groff package;
  see the file MORE.STUFF how to obtain grap.]

Grohtml
-------

o New option `-j' to emit output splitted into multiple files.

Grops
-----

o New command line option `-I' to specify a directory to search for files
  on the command line and files named in \X'ps: import' and \X'ps: file'
  escapes.  This is also handled by the groff wrapper program.

o The default value for the `broken' keyword in the DESC file is now 0.

Grolj4
------

o A new man page `lj4_font(5)' documents how fonts are accessed with
  grolj4.

o The built-in fonts for LJ4 and newer PCL 5 devices have been completely
  revised, mainly to access as much glyphs as possible.  The provided
  metric files should be compatible with recent PCL 5 printers also.
  Additionally, font description files have been added for the Arial and
  Times New Roman family, the MS symbol, and Wingdings fonts.

Afmtodit
--------

o New option `-x' to prevent use of built-in Adobe Glyph List.

Hpftodit
--------

o Completely revised to handle HP TrueType metric files also.  See the
  hpftodit manual page for more details.

Groffer
-------

o This version is a rewrite of groffer in many parts, but it is kept in
  the old single script style.

  New options: --text, --mode text, --tty-viewer, --X, --mode X,
  --X-viewer, --html, --mode html, --html-view, --apropos-data,
  --apropos-devel, --apropos-progs.

  New documentation file: README_SH.

  Enhancement of the configuration files and the `apropos' handling.

Macro Packages

o www.tmac: New macro `JOBNAME' to split output into multiple files.

o In mdoc, multiple calls to `.Lb' are now supported in the LIBRARY
  section.