Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:24:13 -0500

On Jun 11, 2004, at 5:42 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I mean, how often does one, working in, say, Helvetica Medium
Italic, want to switch completely to Garamond and preserve the font
weight/style at Medium Italic?

All LaTeX users expect this. :-)  Its a natural consequence if you
handle all font selection parameters independently.

And it's certainly what you *want* to happen if your other family is, in fact, a non-Roman alphabet. I do this all the time with Greek, where a .fam GK request or \F(GK escape changes to my Greek fonts for a word or a sentence in predominantly English text, which should be in the same style as the surrounding text. (It would, of course, be much nicer doing this with Unicode, then the family switching - which is essentially a hack - wouldn't be necessary).

Robert.

--
Robert Goulding
Program in History and Philosophy of Science