Re: [Groff] pointsize changes in .NH ms-macro

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] pointsize changes in .NH ms-macro
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:55:01 +0100

.
--------< snip >--------------------
> > it looks like the pointsize for the current footer is that which is in
> > the PS register valid on the top of the *next* page (more precisely: the
> > PS register itself behaves unexpectedly (at least for me)). did I miss
> > something or is this a bug?
>
> Not sure about it being a bug, but ...
>
> .de SHEAD
> .\"inputs: $1: NH-level, $2: title
> .\"------
> .br
> .nr incps 4-\\$1
> .if \\n[incps]<0 .nr incps 0  \"just in case ...
> .nr PS \\n(PS+\\n[incps]
> .nr VS \\n(VS+\\n[incps]
> .ne \\n(VSp
> .NH \\$1
> \\$2
> .nr PS \\n(PS-\\n[incps]
> .nr VS \\n(VS-\\n[incps]
> .\"
> ..
>
> ... would seem to give the effect you are looking for -- note the addition
> of the .br and .ne requests.

And further experimentation would suggest that it is the .br which is
critical -- .fl will also work in place of .br, but the .ne would appear to
be redundant!

The .NH macro itself introduces a break, which springs the bottom of page
trap.  However, you have changed the point size *before* the trap is sprung,
so your new point size affects the footer and header text within the ensuing
page transition.  By forcing the break before the point size change, you
achieve the effect you desire.

HTH.

Best regards,
Keith.