Re: [Groff] Where is .PSPIC documented now ?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Where is .PSPIC documented now ?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:57:15 +0100 (BST)

On 26-Sep-04 Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
> Does this 'scaling' mean, that it will be impossible (with
> the current implementation of PSPIC) that we can produce
> another x/y relation than the original picture has?
>> This macro will scale the graphic uniformly in the x and y
>> directions so that it ...
>>
> That makes it difficult to implement the scaling of the
> www.tmac .PIMG macro for PS output using .PSPIC
> Once the new .getopt is implemented, we should implement
> another .PSPIC option to have another kind of scaling.

That is how PSPIC itself works. However, in order to import
the file it uses the post-processor command "\X'ps: import ...'"
which does have the option to set the horizontal and vertical
scalings independently:

  \X'ps: import filename llx lly urx ury deswid desht

where for "filename" substitute the name of the EPS file,
for llx lly urx ury substitute the four numbers in the
"%%BoundingBox: ... " line in the file,
for deswid substitute the desired width of the graphic
in *units* (1/1000 point for devps, so one inch width
gives 72000)
and for desht substitute the desired height in units.

desht is optional: if omitted, the vertical scale will
be the same as the horizontal scale.

The lower lefthand corner of the bounding box will be
at the point on the page where "\X'ps: import ... '"
is called.

The PSPIC macro does some arithmetic on the WID and HT
parameters in the call to PSPIC so as to implement the
actions as described in the documentation.

So you have a choice:
Either use "\X'ps: import ... '" by hand, reading the BB
information yourself from the file and calculating what
to set deswid and desht to, and also calculating what
vertical (and possibly horizontal) motion you want to make
before calling it (and it can be useful to wrap the whole
thing in "\Z'...'" so that you know where you will be when
it is done);
Or use a modified copy of PSPIC which alters the bit of
arithmetic where it sets the scaling (also taking care to
make sure the result will be properly placed).

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861   [NB: New number!]
Date: 26-Sep-04                                       Time: 14:57:15