Re: [Groff] Convert line drawings to GIF?

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] Convert line drawings to GIF?
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:15:01 +0200

On Sunday 03 April 2005 19:43, Clarke Echols wrote:
> I am reasonably competent with troff/groff (I used it once to
> create master artwork for a printed circuit used in a
> manufactured product -- certainly not what the original troff
> creators intended or expected :-) ).
>
> I am now interested in creating a line drawing for inclusion in
> HTML files for access via web browsers.  I can get to PostScript
> with no problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
> get the result to a GIF file.  Of course, I'd also like to be
> able to reduce the size at the same time. :-)

You can convert your PostScript file to an EPS file with the utility 'ps2eps',
which I found here:
http://www.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de/~bless/ps2eps.html

 ps2eps image.ps

creates image.eps (does cropping)

Then convert the eps-file with the 'convert' program from (I believe) the
ImageMagick tools (I use PNG in the example, but it probably does GIFs as
well).
 convert image.eps image.png

This works for me.

Christian