[Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:19:53 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I have compiled groff-current on MacOS X 10.4.3 and stepped over the
following bug

  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8

My texinfo reports the same.

configure does not parse the version string correctly and complains
that version is too old (instead of admitting the error).

This is interesting, since it looks like a problem with sed.  You are
using BSD sed, right?  Please show us what the following expression
yields:

 makeinfo --version | sed 's/^.* \([^ ]\+\)$/\1/;1q'

with GNU sed, I get `4.8'.  Then I have

 echo 4.8 | sed 's/^\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'

   ==> 4

 echo 4.8 | sed 's/^[^.]\+\(.*\)$/\1/'

   ==> .8

 echo .8 | sed 's/\.\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'

   ==> 8

The various sed expressions are there to handle various possible
version info strings like `4', `4.8', or `4.8.1'.

Before applying your patch I want to know the reason for the failure,
probably reporting it to both the BSD sed and autoconf people.  Maybe
my original regexps are non-POSIX...

Mac sed is the BSD sed (OS X takes a lot from FreeBSD).
If I install GNU sed I get the same results as you.

makeinfo --version | sed 's/^.* \([^ ]\+\)$/\1/;1q'
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8
echo 4.8 | sed 's/^\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'
4
4.8