RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:53:51 +0100 (BST)

On 09-Aug-07 23:08:54, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I am writing a highly-technical review article with a colleague who
> knows only MS Word on the Mac (and so is not particularly
> computer-savvy).  I've agreed to use Word, for which I don't much care,
> but it seems to be the only way to go at the moment.  Of course I am
> doing the parts that have the heavy math -- in eqn (which I would
> otherwise use) this would be easy, but Word's equation editor is pretty
> weak.
>
> Is anyone aware of a eqn plugin for Word?  Or something like it?
>
> I know the OO.o has an equation mode that is very similar to eqn, but
> I've simply not had very good luck with OO.o for these sorts of
> documents when sharing with Word is necessary.
>
> Frank

Since replying just now, I've done a bit of Googling. The following
may be worth a look:

http://www.physics.uci.edu/~silverma/eqnword.html

http://www.physics.uci.edu/~silverma/eqnedt.html

http://www.richland.edu/james/editor/editor.pdf
which includes the interesting statement:
  "The Equation Editor included with Word and WordPerfect
   is a watered down version of the full MathType editor
   by Design Science. There are many more bells and whistles
   available with the full version of MathType. Anyone doing
   serious mathematics writing should consider getting the
   full version. The academic pricing is $99. You can learn
   more about MathType at http://www.mathtype.com/ "

And a hint at an answer to my speculation last time can be found
in Wikipedia's article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_Editor
  "Equation Editor did not significantly change from 1991
   to 2007. For Microsoft Office 2007, Equation Editor has
   been reengineered to support a TeX-like linear input/edit
   language in addition to its WYSIWYG interface.

   It also supports the Unicode Plain Text Encoding of
   Mathematics (Microsoft manual: [1]). The revised equation
   editor is built into the document-editing part of the
   interface rather than being operated through a separate
   dialog and being treated as an OLE Object in the document.

   Copied equations are now in (Presentation) MathML format,
   so they can be pasted into other programs that understand
   this XML application, such as Mathematica. Conversely,
   MathML can also be pasted into a Word document and it will
   be recognized as an equation and displayed properly (as
   long as they don't contain MathML symbolic character entities
   such as &PlusMInus; -- use numeric entities instead)."

The google search terms were

   Word "equation editor"

and this may lead you to other interesting things.

Good luck!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861