Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:57:46 +0200

Thanks Ted and Joerg!

Use whichever is most acceptable! There is a very slight difference
between \[Bq] and ,, : to get ,, to be exactly like \[Bq] you must

a) Move the first "," leftwards by pointsize*0.0012 points
b) Then move the second leftwards by pointsize*0.002 points.

I don't think that would be visible, but I think I'll stay with ,, '', it looks more german than " ". (I have an aversion againt " because I see it too often instead of reall quotation marks.)

You could use the "smartquotes" method devised by Werner Lemberg.
This was originally defined in terms of the usual \[lq]...\[rq].
the version I have in my personal macros defines

You can achieve the same with your \[Bq] with the macro

.de smartq
.ds dblq0 \(Bq
.ds dblq1 \(rq
             ^ this should be lq
.nr dblqn 0
.char " \\\\*[dblq\\\\n[dblqn]]\\R'dblqn (1 - \\\\n[dblqn])'
..

The one point to watch is that if, for any reason, you need
to have an opening " (\[Bq]) without a matching closing " (\[r]),
or a closing " (\[rq]) without a matching opening " (\[Bq]),
then in subsequent quoted phrases  " ... " they will be the
wrong way round.

They should match ...

I'll try this in order to see whether I can get used to it, it is easier to type.

Axel